/* Template Name: News Article */ ?>
Author: Phillip Parfitt
Publisher: Motor Racing Publications Ltd
Crystal Palace Park was first used for motorsport in 1901 when the English Motor Club organised a speed trial. This book, however, concentrates on the period when regular meetings were held, from the first motorcycle races on paths in the park and the speedway track created in 1927. Speedway only lasted until 1934, but in 1937 a new 2 mile-long racing circuit was created and motorcycle and car events were held up until the outbreak of war. In 1951, the new owners of the park. London County Council, decided to repair the wartime damage and in 1953 the circuit reopened, with the first meeting attracting over 42,000 paying spectators. The halcyon days then continued for nearly three decades with races for sports and saloon cars, Formula 3 and Formula 2, plus non-championship Formula 1 races. Jochen Rindt achieved the first 100mph lap in 1970 and the outright lap record stood at 103.39mph, to Mike Hailwood. Regular meetings ended in 1972, when the track was closed in anticipation of the National Sports Centre athletics facilities expanding across the Stadium Straight. a project that did not come to fruition. This book covers the full period as suggested in its subtitle, with full coverage of the halcyon period of racing.
Out of print